There might be nothing more I dislike these days than punditry and the encouragers of its practice. Liberal or conservative, the last thing I need is a talking head telling me what they feel, think or know. I don’t care. It never mattered, because what you or I feel, think or know will never change anything (Unless of course we get one of those things going. What are those called? Revolutions? Movements? ANYTHING?). It’s not that I’m not a believe in media and its ability to affect change, but the 24-hour news media outlets have gone overboard. Every situation doesn’t need 2 to 3 people analyzing it. If something happens, I want to know 5 things, who, what, when, where and why.
Of course, the Why is always the hardest to pinpoint in most situations. It’s what people spend millions of dollars, hundreds of hours and brain cells doing every day, week and month for our entertainment. The Why drives people to say the weirdest shit in order to be heard. The Why drives an entire industry that bases itself on us watching a televised Varsity High School debate. Of course, I’m exaggerating a bit.
There are several pundits and hosts that have relevant and interesting things to say, but they’re few and far between. Their aptitude toward poignant statements and arguments fluctuate with the news cycle. They are inconsistent. They can be as superficial as the people they dub “Worst Person of the Week” or whatever. Olbermann, Maddow, Limbaugh and Beck all play to different crowds but essentially do the same thing. They work the shaft and play with the balls of their “constituents”. Consumers of their shows eat it up. I’m sure there are a lot of free thinkers out there, but more-and-more I find people that are as mindless as the FOX lovers and Dobbs supporters. No one cares what Maddow said. No one cares what Beck said. Why? Because they are not your fucking representative. They are not your fucking senator. Unfortunately, people align themselves with personalities because they closely represent their views. It’s like listening to Whitesnake to seem “badass”, but really just coming off as a fucking idiot. Slayer rules.
I just one of those optimistic people that feels everyone should read all the time and educate/guide themselves to effectively understand a situation. There’s nothing wrong with a little help, which is what most pundits really offer, but relying too much onWikipedia will get you nowhere.
I know I’m going overboard. I’ve just been so jaded about a few of things:
- The Supreme Court’s decision to just give up on the act that American democracy exists!
- “Pants on the Ground” being sung by Brett Favre after their defeat of the Dallas Cowboys
- Articles on Tiger Woods in magazines still being printed
- The death of crabcore. I mean, Rolling Stone wrote a 1/8 page article on this video and that was it. I’m glad it’s gone.
- This not every really happening
- The fact that I have classes on both Mondays and Thursdays, which means I have to miss the shows I watch EVERY WEEK until May, and I hate catching up
- Not having a team in the Super Bowl I hate
- Manchester United being in first place because of games-in-hand and whatnotz
- The stupid fucking baristas at St. Ed’s.
Yeah, I said it. I fail at being posi.